RE: Zero Downtime Upgrade and Migration

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <avadhanimys@xxxxxxxxx>, "ora-apps-dba" <ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oaugnetdba-on@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:10:47 -0400

Avadhani,

    What your client is asking for is completely impossible.  For
starters your direct upgrade part is 8.1.7 (or lower) -> 8.1.7.4 ->
9.2.0.8 -> 11.2  and your moving os platforms which means a
transportable database migration.  Way too many moving parts.  What is
the size of the source database?  If it's small enough you can go the
export/import route which at least minimizes the downtime.  But your not
going to get to 0 on this one.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA