X$DBGALERTEXT

  • From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:20:50 +0000

Happy New Year!
I've got a lot of 11.2.0.2 databases and was wondering what controls how many
days are retained in the internal alert log
X$DBGALERTEXT

Servers may be
AIX, DELL, HP, SOLARIS

When I run the code below

COL COUNT(*)    FOR 99,999,999 HEA 'R O W S'
COL DDAY        FOR A10        HEA 'D A Y S'
SELECT DISTINCT TO_CHAR (ORIGINATING_TIMESTAMP,'YYYY-MM-DD') DDAY
      ,COUNT(*)
  FROM X$DBGALERTEXT
  GROUP BY TO_CHAR (ORIGINATING_TIMESTAMP,'YYYY-MM-DD')
  ORDER BY TO_CHAR (ORIGINATING_TIMESTAMP,'YYYY-MM-DD')
;

Some DBs have millions of rows back to when they were created
Some have a few days back.
Others only return the current day

Now one isn't showing anything for 2012 although I see the data in the trace
directory alert log
So that may be a bug.
I have a another DB on the same server, Dell Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
release 5.5 (Tikanga),
 which does show both 2011 and 2012.

And another DB on another DELL server with same OS
D A Y S        R O W S
---------- -----------
2011-09-22         488
2011-09-23          18
2011-09-24           9
2011-09-25          12
2011-09-26         548
2011-09-27          12
2011-09-28           9
2011-09-29           9
2011-09-30       2,590
2011-10-01          16
2011-10-02           9
2011-10-03       5,060
2011-10-04  18,743,441
2011-10-05       1,032
2011-10-06       2,538
2011-10-07       2,588
Skipped a lot
2011-12-22       1,395
2011-12-23          13
2011-12-26         968
2011-12-27         186
2011-12-28          32
2011-12-29           9
2011-12-30           9
2012-01-02       2,936  Works fine
2012-01-03       5,465
2012-01-04       9,130
2012-01-05           3
102 rows selected.

While we're usually only interested in the last couple of days, it would be
nice to go back as far as we'd want to.

 TIA
   Larry

privileged.