Re: Why isn't Oracle Using My Index

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:17:37 -0700

Bill,

  There's been a lot of great feedback here already.  Maybe I've missed
something, but we could maybe try a slightly more pragmatic line of
attack...

  How about

CREATE INDEX FOO ON T185 (C1, C240000008);

  With this index, the clustering factor will be irrelevant.  The query can
be resolved entirely from the index now, with probably a small handful of
LIOs...

  Of course, this won't be so pragmatic if your real query selects a bunch
more columns than the (maybe simplified -- perhaps that is what I have
missed) example you provided...

On 12/21/06, William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greetings,

This is a question I have been looking at and puzzling over for a couple
of days and am unable to explain, I'm hoping someone can help me
understand what is going on. In a 9i database I have a table with 41550
rows on which stistics are generated weekly. In looking at a simple
select the query does not use an index and I am unable to figure out how
to make it use the index.

SQL> set autotrace traceonly explain;
SQL> SELECT C240000008 FROM aradmin.t185 WHERE C1 = 'HD0000000041608'
  2  /

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead
  Senior DBA,