Re: Why isn't Oracle Using My Index

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:48:50 -0800

n 12/21/06, William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Greetings,

Thanks to Riyajh Shamsudeen for pointing out to me that NLS_SORT is in
part the culprit. In our database NLS_SORT = GENERIC_BASELETTER. According
to the Oracle documentation this forces a full table scan. I set
nls_sort=binary and the query used the indexes. I still don't fully
understand what is going on and need to do some further reading. I also need
to turn on cpu_costing and see if that will resolve the problem if nls_sort
is left at it's current setting. Thanks to all who responded, I truly
appreciate the help.

Very interesting.

Can you perhaps point out just which documentation you found this in?

--
Jared Still