RE: Which plan is better - what COST really means ?

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 04:58:26 +0000 (GMT)

Dunno about the "one execution as an input to the next plan" but there is the
SQL tuning sets,
which is the basically the:

"Mr CBO, I don't care how long as it takes, go and know yourself out finding a
the best plan - get
some more stats if you have to, do some dynamic sampling if needed, but make
sure the information
that comes out gives me a damn close to optimal plan"

option...It would be really really cool if you use this facility on a standby
database (then
again, maybe you can? I've never really looked into it).

Cheers
Connor

--- Cary Millsap <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> People seem to cloud the concepts of the pre-run estimated runtime of a
> query (officially its "estimated cost") and the post-run operationally
> measured runtime of a query. The problem with a CBO is that before a =
> query
> runs, it can only estimate a cost using a model. The model is not =
> perfect
> (although it's usually more perfect than the input--db and schema
> statistics--than DBAs feed the model).
>
> Now, AFTER a query runs, it's easy to see whether the estimated cost was =
> any
> good or not. But who wants the CBO to run a query six ways before =
> choosing a
> plan?!
>
> If I recall correctly, 10g has some operational memory built into the =
> CBO
> that allows the CBO to use operationally measured response times for a =
> given
> query as an input into computing the next plan.
>
> Mr. Sharman, care to comment? (And by the way, will I be seeing you in =
> M=E5l=F8v
> next week?)
>

> Cary Millsap
> Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
> http://www.hotsos.com
> * Nullius in verba *
>
> Upcoming events:
> - Performance Diagnosis 101: 2/23 Houston, 3/16 Salt Lake City
> - SQL Optimization 101: 2/7 Dallas
> - Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
> - Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"
ISBN: 1590592174

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

http://mail.yahoo.com