Re: When do system events become effective?

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:06:12 +0100

Uwe,

Does the approach at
http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com/2004/06/we-have-one-of-those-irritating-issues
help? Note larry wolfson of this list pointed out that in 9i don't try
to monitor errors not caused by sql statements with this approach.

cheers

Niall

On 5/2/07, Uwe Küchler <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Oracle 9.2.0.6, HP-UX 11.11

Hello world,
today I was trying to track down the SQL causing a full TEMP tablespace by
tracing the 1652 event. I tried the following commands:

- ALTER SYSTEM SET EVENTS '1652 trace name errorstack';
- ALTER SYSTEM SET EVENTS = '1652 trace name errorstack';
- ALTER SYSTEM SET EVENTS = '1652 trace name context forever, level 12';
- oradebug event 1652 trace name errorstack

on a running system, but no trace files have been generated, although the
alert log was flooded with this event after enabling trace.

I had the same effect with the 10046 event a while ago and supposed that
it only comes in effect when a new session is started, but then "oradebug"
would be usesless in this case. This cannot be. Unfortunately (as so
often) I didn't have the time to research, but now i need some input from
you folks!

So, why is there no tracefile after enabling trace and clearly seeing the
traced event happen?

Regards,
Uwe

Niall Litchfield