When do system events become effective?

  • From: Uwe Küchler <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 19:33:57 +0200 (CEST)

Oracle 9.2.0.6, HP-UX 11.11

Hello world,
today I was trying to track down the SQL causing a full TEMP tablespace by
tracing the 1652 event. I tried the following commands:

- ALTER SYSTEM SET EVENTS '1652 trace name errorstack';
- ALTER SYSTEM SET EVENTS = '1652 trace name errorstack';
- ALTER SYSTEM SET EVENTS = '1652 trace name context forever, level 12';
- oradebug event 1652 trace name errorstack

on a running system, but no trace files have been generated, although the
alert log was flooded with this event after enabling trace.

I had the same effect with the 10046 event a while ago and supposed that
it only comes in effect when a new session is started, but then "oradebug"
would be usesless in this case. This cannot be. Unfortunately (as so
often) I didn't have the time to research, but now i need some input from
you folks!

So, why is there no tracefile after enabling trace and clearly seeing the
traced event happen?

Regards,
Uwe