Re: What MB/s is pulled from your buffer cache?

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: maboc@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 19:48:33 +0200

This metric was added in 11.2.0.3.
I wouldn't use this metric for anything practical really as it doesn't
represent the actual bytes transferred. It's just the number of times a
buffer get was done times the block size.

If you want to calculate it for some reason on earlier versions, then you
can just multiply "session logical reads" with your DB block size. You're
out of luck if you have multiple blocksizes.

But again, it doesn't show the actual number of bytes
transferred/processed. You don't have to scan through the entire 8kB block
every time you do a buffer get. Also, if a buffer is kept pinned and
re-visited thousands of times under that pin, the logical reads* stats do
not go up even though you might be accessing data there a lot of times in a
loop...

And if anyone is thinking of writing a cool report which shows "physical
read total bytes" divided by "logical read bytes from cache" then that's
essentially buffer cache hit ration in disguise.

--
*Tanel Poder*
Enkitec (The Exadata Experts)