RE: Virtualization

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Frits Hoogland" <frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:27:52 -0700

Yes, we're aware of Oracle's support policy for VMWare, but not too
concerned about it.  As long as they still support Oracle, what more can
we expect of them?  If I had a problem with any other operating system,
I wouldn't expect Oracle to fix it, so why would I expect Oracle to fix
a problem with VMWare?  From this perspective, their support of Oracle
on VMWare isn't really much different than their support of Oracle on
any other OS - virtualized or not (with the exception of RedHat/OEL, if
you have purchased Linux support from Oracle).  There is also a pretty
large community of folks running Oracle on VMWare, including the Oracle
and VMWare companies themselves, so I feel it's matured and supported
well enough for a production environment.

Regards,

Brandon

From: Frits Hoogland [mailto:frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx]

The most obvious reason many oracle customers do not use vmware and are
looking at oraclevm is the support issue.