Virtualization

  • From: "Bort, Guillermo" <guillermo.bort@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 21:33:06 -0500

This is not a database question.

I am currently running a server with VMWare Server and a couple of VMs
with RHEL4 and Oracle (9i, 10g, 11g) and a VM with Windows 2003 Server
with a MS SQL Server. I'm also running a VM with windows 2000 and Oracle
8i, but that won't live much longer...

I became acquainted with Oracle VM back when it was release, yet have
never had the chance to try it out. Mind you, even though this server is
for internal use only and intended for testing, there is a particular VM
which should be online 24x7 as it contains an application we use to
share information (TNSNAMES connect strings, host info, access info and
a couple hundrer scripts) This is a very simple APEX application, but it
should not be down long... specially during working hours.  I know
migrating this application could take me up to a day (as that is what it
took to move it originally) I was thinking on upgrading it to 11g with
latest apex in the same step.

Ok, now to the point. We need to keep all the VMs working as they are
our main testing environment and I was wondering if anyone has any
experience with OracleVM, specially running the Windows 2003 with MSSQL
Server, as I'm pretty sure the Oracle installs will work flawlessly.

I will try to get a PC to run OracleVM Server, as I will need it to
prepare the 11g VM to migrate the main apex application... but the PC
I'll be able to get will have about 1GB ram, and I'm not sure I'd be
able to launch two productive VMs...

Also, I'd really like to do a fresh install for the apex vm, but I'm not
so keen on reinstalling the Win2003 as there are a lot of MSSQL DBs
there and I'm not a MSSQL DBA and it would require someone else to
migrate them (not to mention a LOT of space to back them up during
reinstall which I'm sure we don't have). Is there a way to convert
VMWare Virtual Machines to Oracle VM Server Virtual Machines?

TIA

Guillermo Alan Bort

EDS - ITO DBA Main Group