Using Direct I/O Filesystem for Oracle Database

  • From: Junior DBA <juniordba2004@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 21:41:19 -0800 (PST)

  Hi All,
  We are running Oracle 10g R1 on Sun SPARC Solaris 9 Sun Fire V890 Server.
  By default we have following setting in the Database:
  disk_asynch_io = TRUE
  filesystemio_options= asynch &
  dbwr_io_slaves =0
  To improve Disk I/O Performance We re-mount Oracle Database FileSystems [
containing Datafiles,logfiles & archive logs] with forcedirectio,noatime option.
  After remounting the Oracle Filesystems with forcedirectio,noatime i changed
the filesystemio_options to setall i.e.
  (1) I need to know if i missed something or made any mistake.
  (2) Do i need to change dbwr_io_slaves  or db_writer_processes values
  (3) What else i could do to improve DISK I/O performance
  Appreciate your valuable feedback.
  Best Regards,
  Your DBA Colleague
  Muhammad Salman Faheem