Re: Updating system statistics

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Christian Antognini" <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:36:09 -0600

Forgot to note that this is on 10.2.0.2, 32-bit RHEL3.

So gathering system stats to the user table won't alter CBO behavior
then?  I assume I have to create that table with
dbms_stats.create_stat_table() function.

Don.

On 12/12/06, Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

> Now I want to gather statistics on the production server over a
> decent interval (90 minutes?) to put them on development.  Is
> there a way to gather statistics and get the numbers without
> actually changing the in-place production stats?

If you specify STATTAB and STATOWN you can gather the statistics in a
user-defined table (i.e. not in the DD).

I usually suggest gathering them over 60 minutes every hour for one week
or two (you have to specify a unique STATID to avoid replacing already
available stats). Then a quick analysis in Excel may give you
interesting information on how to set the values in production.

HTH
Chris