RE: TNS listener question

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JSweetser@xxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:03:18 -0400

Joe,

First, make a copy of the listener.ora file for safe keeping.

Then go ahead and edit the file and do a reload.

The listener is *only* used to establish new connections.  The existing
connections never go back to the listener.  So you can restart it at
will unless you have a very busy application that is constantly
bre4aking and reconnecting to the database.

I usually have two unix sessions open when I do this.  One to edit the
file and the other to run lsnrctl.  That way, I can quickly re-edit the
file if I need to.

Tom