TNS listener question

  • From: "Sweetser, Joe" <JSweetser@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:26:06 -0600

Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RedHat AS 2.1

I just found out that one my listener.ora files does not have a
SID_LIST_LISTENER entry for the main database on that server.  I
discovered this because I am setting up a duplicate database (from
another server) and went to add the duplicate database to the
listener.ora.

lsnrctl status seems OK to me:

<snip>
Services Summary...
Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this
service...
Service "dctmp.icat.com" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "dctmp", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "tirosprod.icat.com" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "tiros", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
The command completed successfully

dctmp is an old database that's been decommissioned (but, ironically,
does have an entry in listener.ora).  tiros is the current, running
database on the server.

My guess is that tiros auto-registered with the listener (it's been up
since July 9) but I am wondering if I will cause any grief if I:

1. Edit listener.ora to "reflect reality" - remove dctmp, add tiros
database and my new duplicate one
2. Do a lsnrctl reload

It's a production box so I need to be careful.

Thanks for any insight/advice/etc.

-joe

Confidentiality Note: This message contains information that may be
confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you
should not use, copy, disclose, distribute or take any action based on this
message. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender
immediately by reply email and delete this message. Although ICAT Managers, LLC
scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are
virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of
viruses.  Thank you.