RE: TNS Resolution

  • From: "Simon Anderson" <Simon.Anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:39:54 -0000

Well, if the TNSNAMES entry works for other developers (and they're
using the same version of Oracle, right?) then you know the entry is OK
and the database you're after is running and registered with that
listener.

set TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = ADMIN in your tnsnames.ora and take a look at
the resulting trace file - sqlnet.trc in your current directory (at
least it is on my old 817 setup).

Running SQLPLUS from the dos prompt should then get you a trace file
that will confirm which tnsnames it's using and what connect details
it's passing on to the listener - if there's nothing obviously wrong
with it, try comparing it with a trace file from a computer that can
connect.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Simon Anderson