RE: TNS Resolution

  • From: Jonathan Knight <knightjck_work@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:49:12 -0800 (PST)

Thanks again for the many replies.  I'm learning a lot
about Net8.  The good news is that the issue has been
resolved ... I can now connect.  The bad news it that
I don't understand why.  If anyone can offer any
reason from the below, it would be appreciated.  But,
it's not necessary.  We're all more than busy.

Thanks again!
Jon

> Did you try setting TNS_ADMIN to the same path as
shown below
> for SQL*Navigator, and then seeing if tnsping still
works?

> E.g.
>
> C:\>set TNS_ADMIN=C:\ora817NT\network\ADMIN
> C:\>tnsping your_service

Yes, I can still tnsping the service.  As an aside,
I can edit the connect string in the tnsnames.ora
file and the changes are displayed when I tnsping, so
I know it's got the right tnsnames.ora file.

> How about reading some manuals, bozo? Manual will
tell
> you what TNS_ADMIN is for and where is the directory
you
> should be looking for.

I haven't read the manual, but I have read the section
describing TNS_ADMIN and have researched it via
Google.
I understand that it overrides all other methods for
determining which tnsnames.ora file to use.  Is this
correct?

> An ORA-12154 is a client side configuration error. I
see
> that you ping clsdev.world  When you try to connect
with
> sql_navigator do you also specify clsdev.world, or
just
> clsdev? What's the content of your sqlnet.ora?

Here are the contents of my sqlnet.ora ...

AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = ADMIN
names.directory_path = (TNSNAMES)
names.default_domain = world
name.default_zone = world

SQL*Navigator displays the entry a little differently
because
of my TNS entry, shown here:

CLSDEV,CLSDEV.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ud505)(PORT =
1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = clsdev.world)
    )
  )

So, SQL*Nav shows the whole "CLSDEV,CLSDEV.WORLD" in a
drop-down.
This was new to me, but another user here has it setup
that way
so I tried it.  It seems that tnsping can still reach
both
CLSDEV & CLSDEV.WORLD  (P.S. I've confirmed that there
are no
other entries in tnsnames.ora file that even contain
the string
"clsdev".)

When I change the entry to read as below, I continue
to get
"ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name"
  CLSDEV =
    (DESCRIPTION ...

Interestingly, when I change the entry to read as
below, then I
can get in !?!?!?
  CLSDEV.WORLD =
    (DESCRIPTION ...

I am rather confused.  I understood that the tnsentry
could be
named anything one might want.  In face, I have an
entry named
"FOOBAR.WORLD", also "MMISF15.corp.cefs.int".  (Bby
the way,
both of these work.) Am I incorrect in this
understanding?

http://mail.yahoo.com