Re: Standby db and OEM Data Guard Manager

  • From: "Chandra Pabba" <cspabba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <stant_98@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:43:48 +0530

Hi Alex,

If you are using OEM DGM to manage and adminster your DataGuard environment,
it's all just couple of clicks, but the requirment is  you should be using
OEM Repository to use the GUI. Using OEM DGM, you will be able to create
standby databases (it creates the required directory structures,
pfile/spfile.....) both logical as well as physical.  When you right click
on the DG Environment/profile, it will give you an option to
Failover/Switchover.

You are right, you need to create your new Standby database from your
current Primary (switched/failed over to primary role from former secondary)
immediately after a failover option, but this is not required when you
perform a graceful failover.

To rebuild standby, you can use either the OEM menu driven functionality or
use the manual process to create the standby database and I am sure those
instructions are available on metalink.

Hope thie helps!

Chandra Pabba