Re: Something is filling up my /oracle file system - URGENT

  • From: "Manjula Krishnan" <oradba.la@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 14:40:36 -0500

Support is thru the vendor. And it sucks. Last week we had major power
failures. The UPS died and everything crashed hard. One database was
complaining about inconsistent control files, so I comment out the other
control files and was able to bring up with one of them. Another database
would not come up and long story short I put in a call to the vendor because
I figure let them fix this at 3:00 am since they won't buy me the support I
ask for. This analyst calls me and I explain what I had done with the other
database. He says, I will look into it and call u back. And then I call him
again to check the status, he says I will try one more thing before I call
the DBA on call. I say what? He says "I will copy the control file
from DBWORKING to DBNOTWORKING and try to bring it up". So, I said "CALL THE
DBA NOW, DO NOT DO THIS". If I had not done that he would have killed our
production databases.

That is sadly the kind of support we get. For 3 years now I have been trying
to at least convert one of the licenses to Full Use so we can buy support
but no luck.

On 5/16/07, Peter McLarty <p.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hi

 It sounds like the vendor is the level one support for Oracle, seen that
before its often money for jam for the vendors as they usually have to do
little work for the client but get a sizable cheque for their non efforts.So if
you have database problems you ring that vendor and they have to do
the support work and they raise a TAR if required on behalf of the customer.
Manjula check as to what is your support arrrangement with the licenses
and see what you have and if this applies to you. How do you get your CPU's
and other Oracle patches.

I would agree its not easy to support Oracle witout Metalink if you are
doing it properly

Cheers
Peter