Re: Something is filling up my /oracle file system - URGENT

  • From: Andrey Kriushin <Andrey.Kriushin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:49:35 +0400

Hi,

Just for completeness it would be worth mentioning the so called "sparse files". I've actually had some entertainment with that on Solaris...

So it looks like following:
1) before creating the tempfile you check the freespace on the file system (df -k or bdf is ok) 2) you create the tempfile and check the tempfile size with 'ls -l' and it shows you the size you've asked for when creating the tempfiles
3) you check the fs free space again and you see almost no difference

So actual space would be allocated later, when you'll start to use space in the tempfile. It seems that du will not help in this situation...

Oops. Of course, there exists better info at the moderator's site ;-). Here it is: http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/use_raw_tempfiles.htm

-- Andrey

Jared Still wrote:
[skipped]