Re: Some one tested RESETLOGS new functionality on 10g?

  • From: Mark Bole <makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:38:55 -0800

Tim Gorman wrote:

>>>POP QUIZ:  The need for a "cold" backup immediately following RESETLOGS was
>>>one of at least two situations where a "cold" backup was "better" from a
>>>data protection standpoint than a "hot" backup.  There remains one situation
>>>where a "cold" backup is better (from a data-protection standpoint) than a
>>>"hot" backup.  Can anyone name that situation?
>>>
>>>To put it another way, what is the situation where a production DBA might
>>>ask to halt a production application to take a "cold" backup, and not be
>>>crazy?

[...]
> Anyway, since your database was closed for the PITR, a "hot" backup isn't
> really possible there.  My question was intended for the situation where
> either choice was possible.
>
> Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?  Anyone?

If this is a trick question, then the answer is: when your database is
in NOARCHIVELOG mode, a cold backup is better from a data protection
standpoint than a hot backup.

OK, here's a guess: you lose all members of a inactive on-line redo log
group that has not yet been archived... (at least, that's one scenario
mentioned in the docs).  Similar reasoning would apply after any
NOLOGGING operation in a database or tablespace without FORCE LOGGING in
effect.

Although I'm not sure why in any such situation, you couldn't archive
all the online log groups, and then take a hot (inconsistent) backup?

-Mark Bole