Re: Some one tested RESETLOGS new functionality on 10g?

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:39:24 -0700

I "tested" this functionality first in a good-sized production database in
v8.0.5 OPS.  More of a sphincter-clench than 10g, surely...  :-)

This has been available (if not well documented) since 7.3.2 or so, when the
SCN at RESETLOGS time was output to the alert.log.  Sounds like 10g has
found someplace better to store that SCN (i.e. new controlfile)?

The wording "must have all archived logs generated *since* the last backup"
implicitly assumes "cold" backups.  This could lead to mistakes and should
read that you need all the archivelogs generated *throughout* the last full
backup before RESETLOGS, which covers both "hot" and "cold" backups.

POP QUIZ:  The need for a "cold" backup immediately following RESETLOGS was
one of at least two situations where a "cold" backup was "better" from a
data protection standpoint than a "hot" backup.  There remains one situation
where a "cold" backup is better (from a data-protection standpoint) than a
"hot" backup.  Can anyone name that situation?

To put it another way, what is the situation where a production DBA might
ask to halt a production application to take a "cold" backup, and not be
crazy?

on 2/23/05 10:39 AM, Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco at juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx