RE: Solid state disks for Oracle?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 01:45:07 -0500

I tend to agree.

In a properly administered machine room, there is little physical danger to
cables between the units and you can probably count on a good UPS there as
well. (I've seen wires running where people could trip over them.)

Still, if you have direct attach SSD you avoid the wires and a bunch of
protocol and network overhead. Just make sure the power source of the SSD is
not dependent on the machine, so you get the memory to the onboard disk
drives in a server power outage, and if you have duplex onboard disks that
is as good as raid 1.

On the other hand, as Kevin said earlier in the thread, if you've got a lot
of servers you can probably provision them all with "enough" SSD each with a
shared box over a certified protocol and thereby minimize the cost per gig
of SSD. You preserve the utility of the SSD as long as network latency and
bandwidth is sufficient for the load.

That also allows for dynamic allocation of a "free pool" on the shared SSD
box for something like extra TEMP when a particular server is getting beat
up, or even a medium size tablespace that you know is going to get beaten on
heavily by a batch job for a while. Nearly everyone with multiple distinct
servers has varying calendar+time of day times of peak load, so it could be
a boon to reallocate some SSD on a workshift basis.

Which is best for a given server farm will vary. Even if you use direct
attach SSD, you still have to verify that the SSD is certified for the
protocol it is emulating to be treated like a disk drive before you put
anything more than TEMP on it.

Regards,

mwf