Re: Solid state disks for Oracle?

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:00:34 +1100

Kevin Closson said,on my timestamp of 10/03/2006 9:16 AM:

Does it really take 104 slides to point out that a solid state disk is faster than 7 SATA drives? What am I missing here?

Ah well, you're missing the rates... ;)

I tried to turn this thread into one of a bit more sophistication
by bringing up the fact that these things are very expensive and
you can't just sit one over in the corner and get your money's
worth because they are simple SAN arrays that serve up LUNS.

They are not - at least at this stage - cost effective for entire tablespaces. Or even undo or temp. But for redo, I can't think of anything that is as cost effective. Recall that most sites nowadays slap-on a SAN on everything. RAID-5 is *not* the best config for redos but it takes a lot of pain to remove it from SANs and reconfig only redo areas for RAID-10. Much better to just add-on a small SSD, create the redo f/s there, and bang!: there is your turbo-charged write speed *exactly* where you want it.

-- Cheers Nuno Souto in sunny Sydney, Australia dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx -- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l