Re: Shutdown Abort

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:49:15 -0500

I never saw my lttle contribution to this during the last thread ("Query
Database while shutdown in progress"), so here it is again - only because
it shows that Oracle Corp. RECOMMENDS Shutdown Abort in their RMan docs.
Of course we all know that Startup Force does a Shutdown Abort as the
first step.
------------------------------------
Startup Force IS, actually, recommended.  Check out the 9i RMan demo file
case1.rcv in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo.  Also, in your 10g docs, check out
Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide
...6 Making Backups with RMAN: Advanced Topics
......Backing Up in NOARCHIVELOG Mode: Example

In both cases Oracle recommends a Startup Force / Shutdown Immediate /
Startup Mount sequence to get your NoArchivelog database properly ready
for its RMan backup.

Works for us in all our Dev and Test DB RMan backups.
------------------------------------

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

 I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid.
 That's what I call Intelligent Design. -- God ("Origin of Species": Chris
Smither)

Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/03/2007 01:35 PM
Please respond to
jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx

jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
cc
randyjo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: Shutdown Abort

Thanks Jared.  It has taken all of my strength to not reply to some of
the most egregious postings in this thread.  My more recent blurb on
shutdown abort can be found on page four of my 2004 HA paper:

http://www.ora-600.net/articles/stayinalive.pdf

I will confirm that practically every site that requires very high
availability uses 'abort' as SOP.  I am really surprised and
disappointed by the wild theoretical conjecture that accompanies the
steadfast resistance to 'abort'.

Speaking of wild theoretical conjecture, thanks to Alex G. for his
recent rants on DBAs and guessing.  I have long been an opponent of the
'guessing method' of Oracle tuning, which goes hand in hand with the
'try a bunch of stuff' method of Oracle troubleshooting :-)

Best to all, including the guessers,

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net