RE: Server failures

  • From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>, <chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:32:40 -0400

I follow the same approach for all Windows databases (around 40)  under my
support. By this way we know much more about database server then the SA of
those servers. So may times we have to bring into their knowledge possible
issue which may impact database performance.

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:11:11 -0400From: david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxxxx:
Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Re: Server failuresCC:
Actually, although it's probably somewhat of a pain in the butt particularly if
you've got other things happening, asking you to figure out what caused the
crash is probably a compliment.  We're set up similar to the organization
outlined by Don in his reply.  Actually, Oracle isn't paying my mortgage, all
the applications the users are really happy with that are running on the
database management has chosen for reliability and stability are.  To keep the
users and management happy, I have to know a lot about the application.  To
keep my database functioning properly, I have to know a lot about the OS and
hardware.  Lots of times, the server folks don't know what happened and the
application folks don't know what happened.  As DBAs we're in a somewhat unique
position to see all sides of the issues and many times point out salient things
others may have missed.
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Taylor, Chris David
<Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Perhaps I should clarify.  I did take a look through the logs and pointed them
to the event viewer items reporting the POST errors and the restart time along
with the event ids. (Windows Server 2003)
So I didn't mean to imply that I didn't look through the logs at all.  Now I'm
being asked to diagnose the problem it seems.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Taylor, Chris DavidSent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 9:19 AMTo:
ORACLE-LSubject: Server failures

So how many of you are responsible for examining your database servers for
hardware/software faults when it crashes?  Not the database, but the actual

We recently had a server crash that reported problems when it came back up.  It
has also saved a dumpfile to be examined and it reported problems during the
POST routine.

Now I get this email from my DBA manager: (paraphrased)

John [pc/lan mgr] requested that we try to put our finger on what caused
MachineA to failover on Saturday.  I looked through the logs extensively today
[uh huh] and couldn't find anything - can you look around too and see if you
find anything?"

(Obviously names changed)

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood this morning....grrrr