Server failures

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <Chris.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:18:46 -0500

So how many of you are responsible for examining your database servers
for hardware/software faults when it crashes?  Not the database, but the
actual machine?

We recently had a server crash that reported problems when it came back
up.  It has also saved a dumpfile to be examined and it reported
problems during the POST routine.

Now I get this email from my DBA manager: (paraphrased)

"Chris,

John [pc/lan mgr] requested that we try to put our finger on what caused
MachineA to failover on Saturday.  I looked through the logs extensively
today [uh huh] and couldn't find anything - can you look around too and
see if you find anything?"

-Bob"

(Obviously names changed)

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood this morning....grrrr

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205