Re: Run command on sqlplus repetitively without reconnection

  • From: "David Taft" <oradbt054@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Philip Douglass" <philipsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 09:51:35 -0400

Philip,

Sweet!  I just got a chance to try it out. In reading the AIX docs, I think
I understand what is going on here, but I am a little uncertain about the
double-dash. Is the following correct?

!& creates the co-process or piped background process.

cat <&p & creates the background job that redirects all the co-process ouput
to the 'cat' command, which gets output to my display.

print -p --  writes the argument enclosed in quotes to the co-process.

The part I'm not completely sure about is the double-dash (--). The AIX man
page for ksh is very sparse.  I went to
publib.boulder.ibm.com/.../korn_shell_enhanced.htm under "Coproces
facility", but didn't find any help there. I did find some info under the
getopts command that makes me think the double-dash is just a kind of
terminator that says "don't check for any more options after -p.  Is that
correct?

Thanks,

David

On 5/22/07, Philip Douglass <philipsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here's what I've been using for awhile now to accomplish the repetitive
monitoring script in SQL*Plus pattern:
<snip>
It doesn't get much shorter than that!