RE: Rman Full Backup with DataDomain --- RESOLVED (I hope)

  • From: Martin Brown <martinfbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rui.amaral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:30:38 -0400

The last test I ran finished in 2.5 hours whereas the previous tests were 10+
hours. I confirmed with Rui that the compression executable on the DataDomain
should be LZ as opposed to GZIP (which the engineer thought would be better)
and the performance improved to the point where I'm very satisfied. I now think
it's a viable off-site solution for us. Thanks to all and especially to Rui for
helping me out.

From: Rui.Amaral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: martinfbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:51:27 -0400
Subject: RE: Rman Full Backup with DataDomain

Just in case you didn't see this abstract (it's what we used as a basis):

http://www.usenix.org/event/fast08/tech/full_papers/zhu/zhu_html/

in pdf:

http://www.modcomp.com/pdf/Whitepapers/Storage/Data%20Domain/Data%20Domain%20-%20Avoiding%20the%20Disk%20Bottleneck.pdf

it explains all those performance numbers for DD. It details which algorithm
they used (LZ) and number of streams (up to 4 achieving 211mb/s).

HTH

Rui Amaral
Database Administrator
ITS - SSG