Re: Remote automated installation of Oracle clients

  • From: "Stephen Booth" <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:16:21 +0000

On 10/01/07, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks.

As far as a standardised tnsnames.ora goes, good luck catching all the apps
that are out there including the ones people don't know about/have forgotten
about. I'd be tempted to consider using AD as the single repository for your
net service names, but haven't actually ever done this - it's a discussion
where I am now where we have a similar situation.

Part of the prep work we're doing for this is going to be tracking
down as many of the apps as we can.  We're not going to get them all
but we're, of necessity, going for an 80/20 rule.  If we find a
solution that deals with 80% of our desktops then we'll consider it a
success and deal with the other 20% as exceptions.  Obviously we'll
hope to do better than 80% sorted on the first pass but even that with
2400 'exceptions' will be better than we've got right now.

I proposed moving to a directory based solution some years ago but it
was knocked back on cost and the fact that we didn't have a single
directory for users and didn't even have internal DNS (name
resolutions was mostly via local hosts files).  We now have a
corporate DNS service (this is why we're replacing the current
TNSNAMES.ORA files, they mostly use IP addresses or locally decided
host names so accross the corporation there may be a dozen different
names all pointing to the same IP address and a name that in one part
points to one IP address will point to another in a different part of
the ccorporation) are currently in the process of migrating our users
from multiple NDS trees to a single federated AD domain.  We're
currently developing plans to introduce OID sitting atop AD but that's
long term, a common TNSNAMES.ORA file is the intermediate step we can
reach now.

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephenboothuk