Rebuilding a database server

  • From: Larry Hahn <lhahn_60@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle_L <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 03:51:12 -0800 (PST)

List,

We lost the server that we used as our standby database.
It?s Sun Solaris 2.8 running Oracle 8.1.7.3. We have to
move it to another Sun server. Because the database
software was loaded by the vendor for our production and
standby server a long time ago, I am not sure what patches
have been installed on the original box over time.

I had a thought that may sound strange, but I would like
opinions.

I was thinking of using a production backup to ?install?
Oracle on this new server to make it identical to
production. I know I can load everything from the /data1
directories. But what about files it installs onto the
system drive? I have identified a few files in the /var
directory, but is there a list of files somewhere that
Oracle loads to the system drive.

I don?t know. This may be a really bad idea. But I figured
it was the best way to assure the two looked as close as
possible. I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,

Larry Hahn

=====

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!