Re: Rebuilding a database server

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lhahn_60@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:28:57 +0100

Hi Larry,
On sun you have /var/opt/oracle.  it hosts the files oratab and
oraInst.loc. copy both files. In oraInst.loc  you will find the
directoryname wher orainst stores its Inventory, something like
/opt/oracle/oraInventory. Copy this dir as well.
BTW, start oui and choose 'show installed products'. It will show you
what has been installed.

Furthermore, be sure that you create the OS-user oracle and groups dba
and oinstall with the same id's as the production system.

You can copy the whole software tree (e.g. /opt/oracle/...) including
admin directories. Under 8i this works fine, from 9i onwards it is
getting more complicated due to all kind of server-dependent enties in
oraInventory and in the software directories, especially when using
things as iAS and Grid Control.

For the database: you didn't tell wether it's Standard Edition or
Enterprise Edition. If it is Enterprise, you can download Data Guard for
Solaris for Oracle 8i from
http://otn.oracle.com/software/deploy/availability/index.html. The
documentation of 8i Data Guard is at
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/deploy/availability/pdf/A95293_01.pdf.

Dat Guard has quite some advantages over 'classic' standby. It will e.g.
automatically add datafiles on the standby, and also resolve gaps in the
archives if the network connection has been down for a while. It is not
that difficult to implement.

HTH, Carel-Jan

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 12:51, Larry Hahn wrote:

> List,cd
>
> We lost the server that we used as our standby database.
> Its Sun Solaris 2.8 running Oracle 8.1.7.3. We have to
> move it to another Sun server. Because the database
> software was loaded by the vendor for our production and
> standby server a long time ago, I am not sure what patches
> have been installed on the original box over time.
>
> I had a thought that may sound strange, but I would like
> opinions.
>
> I was thinking of using a production backup to install
> Oracle on this new server to make it identical to
> production. I know I can load everything from the /data1
> directories. But what about files it installs onto the
> system drive? I have identified a few files in the /var
> directory, but is there a list of files somewhere that
> Oracle loads to the system drive.
>
> I dont know. This may be a really bad idea. But I figured
> it was the best way to assure the two looked as close as
> possible. I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry Hahn
>

> =====

> http://my.yahoo.com
>

> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
===

Upcoming appearances:

      * Mar 6-10, 2005: Dallas, Hotsos Symposium: Data Guard Performance
        Issues