RE: Re[2]: Instead of SUM() I require MULTIPLY

  • From: "Anthony Molinaro" <amolinaro@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 09:47:52 -0500

Jonathan,
  Thanks for the plug :)

Additionally, if you're on 10g, you can use MODEL
to create a running product which has no problems
with negatives because logarithms are not used
(since it uses plain multiplication, you still have
 to decide how to handle nulls and 0, but that's trivial
 and shouldn't hamper the readability of the solution).

For example:

create table dropme (id number);
  insert into dropme values (1);
  insert into dropme values (1);
  insert into dropme values (2);
  insert into dropme values (3);
  insert into dropme values (4);
  insert into dropme values (5);

 select id, tmp running_prod
   from dropme
   model
    dimension by(row_number()over(order by id) rn )
    measures(id, 0 tmp)
    rules
   (tmp[any] = nvl2(id[cv()-1],tmp[cv()-1]*id[cv()],id[cv()]));

SQL> select id, tmp running_prod
  2     from dropme
  3     model
  4      dimension by(row_number()over(order by id) rn )
  5      measures(id, 0 tmp)
  6      rules
  7     (tmp[any] = nvl2(id[cv()-1],tmp[cv()-1]*id[cv()],id[cv()]));

        ID RUNNING_PROD
---------- ------------
         1            1
         1            1
         2            2
         3            6
         4           24
         5          120

6 rows selected.

SQL>  update dropme set id = id*-1 where id in (1,3,5);

4 rows updated.

SQL> select id, tmp running_prod
  2     from dropme
  3     model
  4      dimension by(row_number()over(order by id) rn )
  5      measures(id, 0 tmp)
  6      rules
  7     (tmp[any] = nvl2(id[cv()-1],tmp[cv()-1]*id[cv()],id[cv()]));

        ID RUNNING_PROD
---------- ------------
        -5           -5
        -3           15
        -1          -15
        -1           15
         2           30
         4          120

6 rows selected.

No one seems to be using it much (yet!), but MODEL is very powerful
and allows you to do so much with so little.
If you've done any PROLOG, you'd immediately see how cool MODEL can be.

Regards,
  Anthony