RE: RMAN without a repository

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Pal, Raj" <Raj.Pal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:26:03 -0700

It all depends on how many backups you run, how many backup pieces,
files, logs, etc.  control_file_record_keep_time is just the "minimum
number of days before a reusable record in the control file can be
reused".  Mine is currently set to the default value of 7, yet I still
have backups from 10 months ago in my control file because I only run
weekly cold backups on this database and my control files are only 8MB

SQL> show parameter record
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- -----
control_file_record_keep_time        integer     7

SQL> select min(start_time) from v$backup_set;
MIN(START
---------
20-JUN-06

SQL> select block_size*file_size_blks from v$controlfile;
BLOCK_SIZE*FILE_SIZE_BLKS
-------------------------
                  8126464
                  8126464

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx

however, if I set the control_file_record_keep_time  to 1000 days,
shouldn't that keep 1000 days worth of backup data so I can still
restore from tape?

will control files really get that big? aren't they just keeping some
data for rman. This can't be more than a few megabytes at most even with
1000 days worthof backups?