Re: RMAN catalog operations taking 128 seconds per file - where is the bottleneck (and no guessing)

  • From: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 16:09:35 +0300

>Neither event discourages me from the activity in question

After that I found ASH, AWR, all kinds of snappers of v$(session, events,
waits, sql, sqlarea, sqlplan_statistics_all ) less intrusive (i.e. more
credible) and even more usable actually, specially in today's pooled
sessions environment. Oracle improved quite a lot by adding service, user,
module/action, plsql object columns into AWR and v$-views (even those not
under additional license)

             Tim Gorman
             <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
             2010.10.14 17:06          Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
                                                                        cc
                                       ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
               tim@xxxxxxxxx           Re: RMAN catalog operations taking
                                       128 seconds per file - where is the
                                       bottleneck (and no guessing)

  That happened to me once, too.  I was also knocked out cold in bed
once.  Neither event discourages me from the activity in question, just
makes me a little more aware...

On 10/13/2010 11:31 PM, Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx wrote:
>> Nothing beats SQL tracing and subsequent aggregated profiling
> yes, but in one case it failed me. SQL trace can be quite intrusive.
> In my case I've got 10ms (!!!) per indexed update of one row (no disk
> reads, normal buffer gets)
> It turned out that tracing with events and binds was the issue. Though
the
> real issue was update of dozens of columns but that's how application was
> coded(or designed)

>               Tim Gorman
>               <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
>               Sent by:
>               oracle-l-bounce@f         Michael Dinh<mdinh@xxxxxxxxx>
>               reelists.org
cc
>                                         "sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx"
>                                         <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>, Jared
Still
>               2010.10.14 01:33<jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L
>                                         <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject
>               Please respond to         Re: RMAN catalog operations
taking
>                 tim@xxxxxxxxx           128 seconds per file - where is
the
>                                         bottleneck (and no guessing)
>

> That's a good idea too, but debugging isn't really performance tuning.
> Nothing beats SQL tracing and subsequent aggregated profiling (using
> tkprof, trcanlyzr, or hotsos/method-r profiler) for identifying
performance
> issues.
>

> On 10/13/2010 4:07 PM, Michael Dinh wrote:
>        What about running RMAN in debug?
>
>        Michael Dinh : XIFIN : 858.436.2929
>
>        NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY - This material is intended for the use
of
>        the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
>        information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
>        disclosure under applicable laws.  BE FURTHER ADVISED THAT THIS
EMAIL
>        MAY CONTAIN PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION (PHI). BY ACCEPTING THIS
>        MESSAGE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THE FOREGOING, AND AGREE AS FOLLOWS: YOU
>        AGREE TO NOT DISCLOSE TO ANY THIRD PARTY ANY PHI CONTAINED HEREIN,
>        EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PERMITTED AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT NECESSARY TO
>        PERFORM YOUR OBLIGATIONS RELATING TO THE RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE.
If