Re: RMAN - Rewind Backup to SCN/Point-in-Time

  • From: Alan Sterger <asterger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 22:53:25 -0400

Hello List,

I've been a DBA since Oracle 7 on enterprise class systems.  Back then,
there was no RMAN.  Most backups where done cold, using Backup Exec,
Veritas, ...  Even when RMAN was released, most enterprises were happy
with their big iron tape robots or had advanced to hot, split mirror
backups.  So yes, my knowledge of RMAN is stunted.

Robert I did buy your 10g RMAN book and have read it.  I was hoping for
more recovery scenarios but alas, a book can't be all things to all people.

Yes, I want to recover to an earlier SCN or point-in-time than is
contained within an incremental level 0 backup.  The point is to
recover, the tool or method is not important.  How about SQLPlus?  How
about Log Miner?

Cheers,

-- Alan Sterger