Re: RMAN - Rewind Backup to SCN/Point-in-Time

Alan,
The point that I've tried to make, and perhaps not very well, is that it's not
about RMAN. It's about understanding the internals of the Oracle database. This
is about how backup and recovery works, period. RMAN is nothing more than a
glorified set of scripts that automate the backup and recovery process and some
interfaces into other restore related functionality (like flashback). Still,
it's just a backup and backups still, fundamentally work the same way as it did
back in the V7 days. Yes, RMAN comes with incremental backups and the like but
the basics still apply. If you knew how to backups then, then you know how to
do them now. Sure there are more bells and whistles (transportable tablespaces,
flashback, etc...) but the basic and fundamental things have not changed.

The other problem is that I think you have rephrased this question at least
three different ways, such that it's become three different questions. Thus,
your question really is not clear to me at all. Perhaps this is just a failing
on my part to comprehend what you are trying to accomplish. I *think* I've
answered your question, but I'm just not sure.

If you have some recovery scenarios that are not in the book that you think
should be in the book please send them my way. We have a whole chapter
dedicated to just those and I'm happy to add one if it seems relevant.

Cheers!

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE
Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line.

Note: THIS EMAIL IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ORACLE SUPPORT COMMUNICATION. It is just
the opinion of one Oracle employee. I can be wrong, have been wrong in the past
and will be wrong in the future. If your problem is a critical production
problem, you should always contact Oracle support for assistance. Statements in
this email in no way represent Oracle Corporation or any subsidiaries and
reflect only the opinion of the author of this email.