Re: RMAN Recovery without Catalog

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:15:46 -0600

RMAN always stores RMAN information in the control files, for the period of
time defined by the parameter CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME (default: 7
days).  All other database information is stored in the control files
indefinitely for the life of the database (i.e. until the next RESETLOGS).

When you use RMAN with a catalog database, it automatically replicates
information related to RMAN actions to that catalog database.  All other
database information has to be explicitly replicated using the RESYNCH
command.

This mode of operation has been in place since the beginning, when RMAN was
introduced with v8.0.x.  The "recovery catalog database" functionality has
always been optional, though recommended...

Personally, I find the recovery catalog database to be a pain in the neck
and only use it in specific circumstances...

on 4/16/04 10:56 AM, Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx at Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx