RE: RMAN KEEP

  • From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 02:02:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Sounds like a plan!  I'll give it a go - I had been
hoping to keep everything within the same catalog and underlying configuration
(regular daily backups and long-term "save point" backups) but seems this isn't
going to happen.  Your suggestion looks good though, as it doesn't add too much
additional complexity.

Thanks again
- Charlotte

DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Charlotte
As I understand your requirement, you want to take and RMAN backup and
then at some future time restore the database to the time you took the
backup?
I don't think the RMAN catalog was designed for this purpose.
Here is how I would approach it. Take the RMAN backup set, the archive
logs for the time of the backup and for a short period of time afterward,
and just in case, a backup controlfile. It doesn't matter if you take the
backup using the controlfile or the RMAN catalog.
Now, at any time in the future you can restore that backup on another
server, as long as have the same Oracle version. I just do controlfile
recoveries, but you could take an export of the RMAN catalog after the
backup completed and restore that as well. I just think the controlfile
recovery is simpler in this situation.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.