Re:RHEL Channels

  • From: "Alessandro Vercelli" <alever@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "niall\.litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:09:45 +0100

Hi Niall,

in RHEL 5, the file /var/log/yum.log contains a list of all packages (and
dependencies also) that have been installed on a system with yum.

A simple solution could be:

1. Remote copy of /var/log/yum.log from the dev/test node to all the prod
nodes, into a /tmp/upd_pkgs.txt
2. On prod nodes:

for PACK in `cat /tmp/upd_pkgs.txt| awk -F: '{print $4}'`; do yum -y install
$PACK; done

This will install on the current node all the packages which have been
installed on the dev/test node; if a package is already installed it will be
automatically skipped with a message.

Alessandro