Re: Performance Problem but no Performance Tuning Tool

This sounds to me like first of all you need to define what exactly you want
to tune, before looking for performance tools. As depending on what your
problem is, many tools are simply worthless.

I would start by doing something like this:

- Find the most critical business process that's taking too long (for this
it's usually best to talk to the users directly)
- Define the goal that is needed to satisfy the business' needs for this
process
- Try to measure exactly where the time is going (This step can be
difficult, depending on your architecture, and on how many systems /
services are involved in the process)
- Once you have identified what's causing the delays in response time, take
a corrective action.
- Repeat

By taking this approach, depending on what "problem" you discover, there may
be huge collateral effects, that render overall system performance lots
better. But try not to look at the "whole thing", try to focus on an
overseeable small but important part of your application(s).

One tool I always like to use is event 10046. But try to trace only what's
relevant, otherwise you may end up chasing a ghost :) There's lots of
information on the web on how to use it, and how to interpret the
information (by using profilers such as tkprof).

HTH

Stefan

=========================

Stefan P Knecht