Question re DataGuard

  • From: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:58:54 -0700

Greetings,

I am new to Data Guard. I'm running Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 EE on 64-bit
Windows Server 2003. I understand that the command

SQL> alter database recover managed standby database disconnect;

begins the managed recovery process when the standby is first created.
My question, does the managed recovery process persist through a restart
of the standby database? I am assuming it does but don't know how to
determine that. That is my second question, Is there a way other than
querying the v$archived_log view to determine if the managed recovery
process is in fact running? Lastly, what are the ramification, if any,
of issuing the command if the managed recovery process has already been
started. I just restarted the standby database (unfortunately I issued
the command before testing the status of the archived logs, I suppose I
could do it again) at which time I issued the command and the response
was database altered. I haven't really been able to find an answer to
this question anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis