Re: Physical Database Design - Code Tables

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paulastankus@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:31:09 -0800

On 11/21/06, Paula Stankus <paulastankus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know that for developers having the generic, one-size-fits-all codetable
is easier for them to code.

Uh-huh.  They don't have to remember all those pesky code table names.

They just need to remeber the values of the identifier columns:
AddressType, CustomerType, ...

Wow! That's more work than we thought!

Maybe we could get the DBA to create some views...

 However, I am very worried that having one generic codetable for all
applications, all tables and all code fields could cause serious contention.

Will the code table be updated frequently?

If so , then you may want to reduce the number of rows per block
via 'alter table TABLE minimize_records_per_block' or a high pctfree.

HTH

--
Jared Still