Re: Physical Database Design - Code Tables

  • From: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paulastankus@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:19:59 -0800

Paula,

This is a prime (and maybe extreme) example of a "one-size-fits-all" debacle
as documented by our very own Tim Gorman
http://www.simple-talk.com/opinion/opinion-pieces/bad-carma/  There are a
few principles in the article that you should make the Developers read (the
site itself is a SQL Server / .NOT oriented site :)

I know that for developers having the generic, one-size-fits-all codetable
is easier for them to code.  However, I am very worried that having one
generic codetable for all applications, all tables and all code fields could
cause serious contention.

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc

Disappointment is always inevitable; Discouragement is invariably optional

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **