RE: Physical Database Design - Code Tables

  • From: "Richard J. Goulet" <rgoulet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <paulastankus@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:17:54 -0500

Paula,

    I'm going to make some assumptions here, so feel free to correct me.
I believe by "codetable" your referring to a one-size-fits-all lookup
table for codes.  Something like 1 = 'Hello", 2 = "Goodbye", etc...
These typically don't become contention problems because everyone is
reading from it and one or a very small number of users are writing to
it and there are usually never any updates or deletes.  They also are
normally a lot smaller in both dimensions than the other tables being
used.  The easiest way to prevent this from becoming a problem is 1)
index organize the table, so try to keep it as small as possible width
wise.  2) Put it in the keep_pool so that it becomes memory resident.

Dick Goulet, Senior Oracle DBA

45 Bartlett St  Marlborough, Ma 01752, USA
Tel.: 508.573.1978 |Fax:  508.229.2019 | Cell:508.742.5795

RGoulet@xxxxxxxxxx
: POWERING TRANSFORMATION