Re: Parameter

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:33:51 -0400

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 05:30:16PM -0400, Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco wrote:
> I remember this was only on old releases.
> Last releases  don't need it, they are always encrypted.

It is weak encryption and oracle posted this awhile back wrt practices:
 Oracle Global Product Security has investigated the recent publication by
Joshua Wright of the SANS Institute, and Carlos Cid of the
 +University of London's Royal Holloway College, entitled "An Assessment of the
Oracle Password Hashing Algorithm." This paper
 +presents an analysis of the Oracle Database password hashing algorithm.  It
describes potential attacks against this algorithm when
 +an attacker has access to password hash information.

 Oracle considers adherence to industry standard security practices the best
way for customers to protect their database systems. In
 +particular, issues noted in the paper can be addressed through limiting
access to password hash information, and by enforcing good
 +enterprise password policies.  Moreover, Oracle customers have authentication
options available which avoid the issues described in
 +this paper.

 A MetaLink note is now available that outlines the minimum essential steps
customers should take to mitigate potential attacks
 +against the password hashing mechanisms in the Oracle Databases. Customers
who already follow industry standard security best
 +practices, including those who have hardened or locked down their database
systems, may still benefit from reviewing the MetaLink
 +note.

 The MetaLink Doc ID is 340240.1.

 http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=NOT&id=340240.1

 Additional references: