Oracle implicit data conversion

  • From: "David Boyd" <davidb158@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:28:43 -0500

Hi All,

I have an audit trigger on a table, which an update on the table will trigger inserting the field_name, old_value and new_value into the audit table. The type of one of the fields in audited table is date and the type of old_value and new_value is varchar2(4000). When I update the date field, Oracle does implicit data conversion to insert the date value to old_value and new_value fields in the audit table. The formate of date field is 'MM/DD/YYYY HH:MI:SS AM' (all nsl parameters are set to U.S. default). The format of old_value and new_value was 'DD/MM/YYYY HH:MI:SS AM'. However the format of old_value and new_value becomes to '01-NOV-05' today suddenly. It seems no body made any changes into the database. Does any body have an idea why? I know the best practice is to use explicit conversion. But in the mean time, is there any thing I can set for Oracle implicit data conversion?

Thanks for any input in advance.

Dave