RE: Oracle certification - Worth the hard work?

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <GJohnson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:29:49 -0400

As a current holder of *several* Oracle OCP titles, let me add my 2
cents.

If you are a contractor that bids on jobs for a living, then you have to
have it.

If you work for a company that will pay for training and the OCP exam,
then go for it - you will learn new stuff.

If you do not have any intention of becoming an independent contractor -
you will always work for a company some place, you probably do not need
it.

Oracle pretty much killed the OCP thing this last go-around with 10g.
It became a naked ploy to generate huge fees for something that is
needed by a small percentage of the working population.

Tom