Oracle certification - Worth the hard work?

  • From: "Johnson, George" <GJohnson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:22:06 +0100

        I have no wish to start a flame war, repeat old topics already
covered or take this way off-topic, but I am genuinely interested in taking
my certification (only 8 years after starting in Oracle!) and I wondered if
the certification is as useful as Oracle paint it to be? I was thinking
purely on the merits of being able to secure a job over someone who doesn't
have certification. I studied my 8i when they came out but ran out of cash
before I could afford the tests, since never bothered!

        I live and work in the UK and from my limited perspective have not
seen that many Oracle DBA jobs asking for it as a requirement and those that
do only state it would be advantageous.

        All comments welcome.