RE: Oracle certification - Worth the hard work?

  • From: Kevin Lange <klange@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:19:40 -0500

A certificate in this prety much lets me know that you can take a test, it
does not tell me a damn thing about if you can do the job.

Just because you can read a book and regurgetate the information back up
onto a piece of paper does not mean that you can handle the day to day
workings of a DBA or handle users in a manner that does not a) Piss them off
to no end or b) Give them everything they want and the expense of everyone
else.   It also does not show me that you can handle the high pressure oh so
fun situation of having 100 upper management types calling you at 5 am
wondering why the production database is down and how long it is going to
take you to put it back up.  And it surely does not show me that you know
how to handle the 100 other things that can go wrong that are just not
covered in anything but life experience.

Experience over Certification any day.

My order of hiring is :
  a) Experience + Certification.
  b) Experience Without Certification.