Re: Oracle and mysql

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 23:25:04 +0300

Hi,

I can't give you a good comparison because I am a pretty new Oracle user, or
better said, I have used Oracle for a longer time, but started only recently to
create databases with it.

I can give you a good example that was a reason of trying Oracle because MySQL
wasn't good enough.

I have a table that require using transactions which has more than 11 million
records. That table is queried and also updated frequently.

I need to use a select count(*) from table_name and also a select count(*) from
table_name where column_name=1; where that column has only 2 possible values.

That select is extremely fast using MySQL and its MyISAM engine, however MyISAM
doesn't support transactions.
However, even without transactions, that query is slower when I need to use
that where condition no matter if there is an index on that column or not.

So I have also tried the InnoDB engine which also supports transactions but
that query is extremely slow. It takes dozens of seconds.

With Oracle, which supports transactions, that query is very very fast.

Even if I would use MyISAM tables and MySQL, I think it may not work very well
under high load because MyISAM uses entire table locks so this may slow those
queries a little.

I know that I could use different hacks with MySQL and InnoDB for keeping the
total number of rows from that table in a separate table, using a trigger, but
in my app I use an ORM that uses a pager, and that pager does a select count(*)
and it might be harder to override what that ORM/pager does... too hacky.

I have also tried using a select SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS ... in the main query than
use a select found_rows() but this takes a much longer time so it is not an
option either.

Oracle worked fine and fast in its "normal" way, even though... as I said, I am
an Oracle beginner.

Too bad that Oracle is much more expensive. :-)

Octavian